UK flavoured and functional waters grow 16%

The UK market for flavoured and functional waters grew faster than for plain water in 2022, according to the latest UK Water Drinks Market Reports from industry experts Zenith Global Commercial.

Total flavoured and functional water consumption rose 16% to 530 million litres, 6% above the pre-pandemic peak of 2018. Sales value rebounded 25% to over £600 million.

This takes the combined volume of all water drinks to 4,500 million litres, 14% above 2021, and sales value to £3.5 billion, up 19%.

“Flavoured and functional waters lost out to reduced sugar carbonated soft drinks in 2019,” commented Zenith Global Commercial Director Akos Petri. “They were also set back by covid, but their health credentials have led to renewed momentum. Functional waters have more than doubled their volume in the past 5 years as well as commanding a high price premium.”

Among other findings in the Zenith Global Commercial UK Water Plus Market Report:

  • Flavoured water is the biggest segment, with 87% of volume and 68% of value.
  • Functional waters have increased their share to 7% of volume and 18% of value.
  • Juicy waters take the remaining 6% of volume and 14% of value.
  • Still water drinks are responsible for over 70% of volume, leaving sparkling under 30%.

Zenith Global Commercial forecasts continued growth for flavoured and functional waters over the next five years to reach 620 million litres by 2027, 16% ahead of 2022.